By this definition, eight-year-old Jaekob Chavez certainly qualifies as a hero.
At 5 a.m., Sunday morning, a dryer caught fire at the home of Tona Chavez, on Prior Station Road. Tona Chavez is Jaekob’s grandmother, and he was staying with her for the night.
Jaekob stated that a strong smell woke him up and he noticed smoke filling up the house. He woke up his grandmother and they searched the house to see what was happening. They found that the dryer was on fire.
They opened the back door for air and started to run out when they realized that Jaekob’s aunt and a family friend were still inside in two back bedrooms. The family dog, Winky, was also still inside.
According to Tona Chavez, without hesitating Jaekob said, “I’ll get them, Nana.” Before she knew it, he took off into the house.
He woke up his aunt first, and then went across the hall and woke up the family friend. Jaekob returned with the two individuals and the dog. More importantly, everyone was OK.
They huddled outside, called 911 and waited for the fire department. The Prior Station Volunteer Fire Department responded to the call.
It is not clear when the fire began. A family member stated that Jaekob’s aunt had to work on Sunday morning, and she had started the dryer between 3:30 and 4 a.m, before going back to sleep. A family member indicated that the house received minimal damage from the fire.
Jaekob is a student at Northside Elementary School. He is the son of Lena Morgan and Brandon Chavez.
He has two sisters, Jaylyn Alvarado and Kaylei Chavez.