Work began before lunch and is expected to take most of the afternoon.
Pictured is city employee Brent Edwards, assisting as other city employees prepared to insert a new piece of pipe to replace a section that has decayed.
The section of pipe that was being replaced is part of the concrete pipe network that was installed in 1929. The neighborhood was constructed by the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company in order to provide rental housing for the employees of its then-new tire manufacturing plant (now occupied by Engineered Fabrics Corp.)
Some sections of the sewer system in the Village area have been replaced, but much of the nearly 80-year-old original pipe network remains in place.