The Cedartown Fire Department immediately responded to the scene around 11 a.m. A call was put out to Georgia Power Co. to bring in a ladder truck to repair and reset the fuse.
A loud explosion was heard shortly before 11 a.m. throughout downtown. Residents of the Philpot/Noyes neighborhood reported seeing "white flames" shoot out from the electrical equipment at the top of a power pole.
Cedartown Fire Chief Sammy Stephens was first on the scene. A dead squirrel at the foot of the power pole showed obvious signs of electrocution and was the apparent cause of the outage.
A fuse was tripped and the electric discharge apparently melted part of the device.
Power to Main Street businesses was off for only a few seconds before power was restored. The Philpot/Noyes neighborhood remained without power at 11:45 a.m.